[dns-operations] Verisign won't delete obsolete glue records?

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Tue Mar 2 21:50:38 UTC 2021

On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 03:04:14PM -0500, Patrick Mevzek wrote:

>Not a problem per se as all registries are in an autorenew mode
>(basically domains are never deleted by the registry itself in normal course
>of operations)

Sure, but registries' customers (who are registrars) historically got grumpy if they had to keep paying for a domain name for which they couldn't collect their own customers' payment.  I think the secondary market has gradually eroded this irritation, but I know it was a big one at one time.

>> So ns1.example.com often gets renamed
>> to ns1.example.com.lame-delegation.invalid or something like that,
>
>Registrars do that.

I am _extremely confident_ that there was a registry who used to do this automatically under certain circumstances.  I don't know whether it still does.

>and hence has full control into renaming them. The users of those host
>objects might not even see the host name change in fact.

No, indeed, which created not-insignificant debugging trouble.

>I do know of at least one ccTLD going from attributes to hosts indeed but
>.DE, while not using EPP but something similar, is still under the model
>of hosts as attributes.

I seem to recall that it was DE's model that was trying to be accommodated in the attribute model.

>.BE .EU .AT at least are also using attributes.

Interesting.  I still think it's a bad idea :) but I'm glad at least the feature isn't just sitting idle.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com