[dns-operations] Verisign won't delete obsolete glue records?

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.email
Tue Mar 2 01:33:01 UTC 2021

On 3/1/21 5:03 PM, Wessels, Duane wrote:

>> On Mar 1, 2021, at 4:01 PM, Jim Reid <jim at rfc1035.com> wrote:
>>
>> The original glue records will not be obsolete even though you believe they are. There must be at least one other delegation in the .com registry which references the nameserver object(s) for the glue record(s) you think are no longer relevant.
>
> This would be my guess as well.

Thanks for the resource, but what I want to do is get rid of the
addresses that are associated with the current host records. Those name
server host names will continue to be used by my organization for the
foreseeable future. Delegating every name away from them is not an option.

In doing a little more digging, I see that Verisign seems to be creating
a host record in whois, with an associated address, for every single NS
host record in the COM and NET zones, whether they need traditional
glue, or not.

However, from what I can tell they are not publishing those in the zone
unless they are needed for glue.

So apparently the correct answer is to let the stale data continue to
exist in Verisign's database, and update the name server host names in
our zone files?

Duane, does that sound right?

Doug