[dns-operations] why does that domain resolve?

Mark Delany b9w at charlie.emu.st
Mon Jun 14 23:55:15 UTC 2021

On 14Jun21, Dave Lawrence allegedly wrote:
> > I wouldn't point a user at any of these unless I think they have a good
> > amount of DNS expertise :-)
>
> Indeed.  I recently had to field a complaint that invoked an analysis
> by https://dnschecker.org/domain-health-checker.php as being related

Not sure it's fair to say that DNS checking tools are beyond the capabilities of the
average domain admins, which is what I was originally asking about. Beyond Joe Public,
sure.

Not that I disagree with your observation about dnschecker; it clearly suffers from a lack
of focus and a lot of scope-creep. One minute it's checking your delegation path, next
minute it's making SMTP connections to your mail servers.

The tool I've found most useful for relatively novice domain admins is one which simply
verifies the things they can break - namely their zone files, name servers and delegation
details.

 $ Fat-finger my zone files
 $ distribute
 $ if ! `my-dns-ok`; then echo Panic Stations; else echo All good; fi

Beyond that either provides too much information or provides information which they find
impossible to act on such as a TLD path error or timeout.

Mark.