[dns-operations] Registrars supporting ED25519

Viktor Dukhovni ietf-dane at dukhovni.org
Sat Jul 31 16:58:22 UTC 2021

On Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 11:21:39AM -0400, Eric Germann wrote:

> I’m doing some work on my own test domains with ED25519.
>
> Does anyone know of any registrars that support ED25519?

Can you be more precise about what "support" means?

    - Support publishing algorithm 15 DS records?
    - Support signing managed zones via algorithm 15?
    - Support CDS / CDNSKEY for algorithm 15?
    - The desired TLD (registry) may also play a role...

Below is are counts (lower bounds, given incomplete data) of domains
with at least one algorithm 15 DS RR in TLDs with at least 3 such
domains in my dataset (which contains barely over 400 domains with
algorithm 15 DS, the algorithm is NOT yet in wide use):

     46 org
     25 eu
     23 com
     22 ch
     21 nl
     20 cz
     16 uk
     14 net
     13 se
      9 info
      9 dev
      7 us
      6 xyz
      6 io
      6 at
      5 me
      5 jp
      4 space
      4 lv
      4 fr
      4 cloud
      4 biz
      3 systems
      3 sk
      3 mobi

Looking at SOA rname and mname frequencies, I see (a few providers, but
likely mostly hobbyist domains):

     #  rname domain
     -- ------------
     30 finalx.dev