[dns-operations] Google DNS hiccups (Toronto, Canada?)

David Magda dmagda+dns at ee.ryerson.ca
Fri Jan 8 15:43:30 UTC 2021

Hello,

Is anyone experiencing timeouts and hangs with Google DNS?

> I see it wasn't just us who had problems resolving things that had their DNS hosted by Google this morning (and yesterday morning); DNS failures for http://gmail.com, http://google.ca, gmail-hosted domains, etc. Google's 8.8.8.8 DNS server resolved them fine tho.
>
> I expect Google to not ever say anything about this, and maybe do it again tomorrow morning around 9am+. Maybe Google is just seeing an early-morning wave of DNS queries from our area of Canada and deciding to load-limit it.

	https://twitter.com/thatcks/status/1346898916428689408

This has occurred especially since Monday (1/4), and seems to occur 09:00 (14:00 UTC) to 10:00 ET.

This is occurring in the Toronto area, but I’ve seen reports of something similar in the Prairies.

Thanks for any info.

Regards,
David