[dns-operations] Quad9 DNSSEC Validation?

Scott Morizot tmorizot at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 18:09:59 UTC 2021

I have gone back and read Quad9's description of their service offering.

https://www.quad9.net/service/service-addresses-and-features

Their own public description of their service to people who might decide to
employ it clearly indicates that their secure services perform and enforce
DNSSEC validation.

That is, at best, a misleading description if not outright false.
The service does not properly implement DNSSEC validation according to the
DNSSEC protocol standards. Moreover, they have not even properly complied
with the informational RFC on negative trust anchors, RFC7646.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7646

First, it is supposed to be temporary and domain name specific. In fact,
the informational RFC states that technical personnel should ensure it is
due to a misconfiguration and not the sort of attack DNSSEC is intended to
prevent and that they should make every reasonable attempt to contact the
domain owner.

Instead, Quad9 has silently disabled DNSSEC validation for effectively the
entire United States Federal Government, civilian and military, without
prominently publishing a notice to that effect in its service description.
If citizens of the US are selecting a "secure" DNS service, they should be
so informed. It is frankly, not just a lack of transparency. It is
dishonest and misleading.

It's their service and they can do whatever they like. But they need to
tell the people using it the truth about the service they are, in fact,
providing.

Scott