[dns-operations] What is the reason of J-Root doesn't serve the arpa zone?

Yasuhiro Orange Morishita / 森下泰宏 yasuhiro at jprs.co.jp
Fri Dec 3 06:08:17 UTC 2021

Hi,

Now I'm writing an article for Japanese people that introduces the
IETF's recent DNS-related activities, and I have a question about the
current "arpa" zone.

RFC 9120 says:

   Historically, the "arpa" zone has been hosted on almost all of the
   root nameservers (NSs), and [RFC3172] envisages the "arpa" domain to
   be "sufficiently critical that the operational requirements for the
   root servers apply to the operational requirements of the "arpa"
   servers".  To date, this has been implemented by serving the "arpa"
   domain directly on a subset of the root server infrastructure.

Yes, it is "almost all", not "all".  Currently, the "arpa" zone has
been hosted on 12 root servers, except to J-Root.

Probably, this is a part of the "Historically", but I want to know why.

-- Orange

--
Yasuhiro 'Orange' Morishita <yasuhiro at jprs.co.jp>