[dns-operations] Injection Attacks Reloaded: Tunnelling Malicious Payloads over DNS

Robert Mortimer Robert.Mortimer at nominet.uk
Wed Aug 18 14:26:46 UTC 2021

I'd be glad to have both. Yes the applications should do it either via better libraries or some other mechanism.
But as there will always be badly written applications I'd quite like to be able to tell my local resolver "validate any response you get and reject anything that fails". It gives me better depth of protection and at a local level, be it home or business it would be good to have the choice especially if exceptions could be carved out.

If I had to bet on which would happen first/at all "resolver libraries/applications being fixed" or "A DNS resolver implementing validation" I know where my money would be. Rejecting "malformed" responses at the resolver wouldn't seem to be a good thing[tm].