[dns-operations] Injection Attacks Reloaded: Tunnelling Malicious Payloads over DNS

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Wed Aug 18 00:55:17 UTC 2021

On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 08:25:23PM -0400, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

>Sadly, while getdnsapi looks somewhat natural to a Python programmer, it
>is a rather poor C API

I recognize that this is true; but honestly, if we're trying to make something safe we're not aiming at C programmers in the first place.  If you're writing C programs today and you're not checking every single input and output for malicious content, then you're a hazard to everyone and not just your users.  The idea that such a problem could be solved by "better resolvers" is just fatuous: all that will do is make better malware.

This is not an attempt to dump on C or applications in C or anything like that.  It is rather, IMO, to point out that people who are operating the table saw without a blade guard are already undertaking dangerous operations, and insisting on safety googles for "cross-cuts with a finish blade while standing behind the multi-cm thick workpiece" is not really going to help.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com