[dns-operations] Ultra DNS responding with NXDOMAIN for "www.uber.com"

Viktor Dukhovni ietf-dane at dukhovni.org
Mon Aug 9 15:17:17 UTC 2021

> On 9 Aug 2021, at 11:01 am, Dave Lawrence <tale at dd.org> wrote:
>
> In any event, this whole thing is not the same as the issue of
> replying nxdomain for some qtypes at a name that otherwise gets
> positive responses for other qtypes.  Those implementations do need a
> serious kick, and thank you for your efforts in trying to get them
> fixed.

Well, in this particular case queryes with rtype DS for "cfe.uber.com"
do get NXDOMAIN, while queries of type NS do not.  The setup is broken,
and I agree with Paul that ideally all resolvers would fail, and the
issue would then have been fixed long ago.

---

$ dig +noall +comment -t ns cfe.uber.com
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 4, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1400

---

$ dig +noall +comment -t ds cfe.uber.com
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

--
	Viktor.