[dns-operations] [Ext] DNS Flag Day 2020 will become effective on 2020-10-01

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Sep 18 00:46:34 UTC 2020

All,
     Unless you are about to initiate a zone transfer or a nailed up TCP query
connection, DNS clients should be setting a MSS size that prevents PTB generation.
There just isn’t enough traffic in a DNS query to warrant performing PMTUD.

The previous MTU options should both cause the kernel initiate MSS negotiations
that prevent PTB responses (TCP is supposed to pay attention to these options as
they adjust the effective MTU of the interface, FreeBSD got this wrong for a while
but have now fixed the issue).  That said you can also use setsockopt with
IPPROTO_TCP/TCP_MAXSEG prior to connect to set the MSS size offered (there are
some old stacks that get this wrong).

Mark