[dns-operations] systemd resolved ignores specified root

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Fri Sep 18 00:36:11 UTC 2020

Dave Lawrence <tale at dd.org> wrote:

> On this point, it just has no idea whether the original input that
> started off the lookup had the trailing dot.

I don't think that's true: the interface between glibc and
systemd-resolved uses a special NSS module and a D-Bus interface, not the
DNS protocol. If I understand the docs correctly, the name sent over D-Bus
is what the user typed without even IDNA conversion.

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/nss-resolve.html
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/resolved/

(reminds me of lwresd...)

Tony.
North Fitzroy: Northeast becoming cyclonic later, 5 to 7. Moderate or rough.
Thundery showers. Mainly good.