[dns-operations] [Ext] DNS Flag Day 2020 will become effective on 2020-10-01

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Thu Sep 17 15:50:33 UTC 2020

Mark Andrews wrote on 2020-09-16 15:20:
> ... O(10^6)
> But DNS traffic doesn’t need those sized packets even for zone transfers.

i feel the same. but i felt that way about 64K and 640K RAM, and was
wildly wrong. in practical terms i think the old 4K EDNS bufsize default
will likely remain relevant to DNS, but two things: first, there are
other things on the internet besides DNS; second, an evolving packet
size that scales with bit rate would and still can obviate some of the
things we use fragmentation, or TCP, or shortly QUIC, to do. the tyranny
of 1500 must end, for the sake of our collective future.

--
Sent from Postbox