[dns-operations] systemd resolved ignores specified root

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Wed Sep 16 16:08:24 UTC 2020

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 03:57:21PM +0200, Peter van Dijk wrote:
> On Wed, 2020-09-16 at 12:30 +0000, Derek Wilson wrote:
> > I probably yelled too much in that thread for it to be effective (sorry)
>
> > Your comments in the thread are loud, rude, and almost consistently
> > incorrect. You've shown some fine examples of the blatant disregard some users
> > have for all this wonderful software they get for free, and the developers
> > that put in effort to write that software. This demonstrates a messed up sense
> > of entitlement and a total disrespect for developers that is all too common today.

code is law, felt especially strongly by those who can't add features to open-source
software, or who can't get them upstreamed due to overwork or vision differences, or
who can't add features to closed-source software because they lack source code. there
may not be an alternative platform that works better. i say this for background,
because:

1. i tried for ten years to get a few features added to Psi (a jabber client), and i
could not find anyone who would take them, nor anyone who could review and improve
them, even for money. eventually i dropped Psi, and later, dropped jabber itself. this
was not in the Psi project's best interests. my unheeded cries for help were actually
attempts to help the project. i wasn't asking for something-for-nothing, either.

2. same for KDE kmail/kontact, though last year (2019) was a breakthrough, it took a
long time and a torch bearing mob. i'd've been much happier with a gofundme campaign.

3. ISC was originally chartered to focus external resources (money and services) on
community needs (software, protocols, and services). even so there was one time when
leo bicknell asked why we were keeping 10-year-old bug reports in our RT instance and
nobody knew, so he deleted everything older than last january 1. we never noticed.

open source is very powerful, but when it's not right, there's usually zero recourse.

--
Paul Vixie