[dns-operations] DNS Flag Day 2020 will become effective on 2020-10-01

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Fri Sep 11 06:23:20 UTC 2020

> this isn't a flag day and shouldn't be called that. it cheapens the
> term.
>
> 1232 is a cargo-cult number. we must not revere as holy those things
> which fall out of the sky.
>
> there is a right way to deprecate fragmentation. it would not involve
> adding config complexity.
>
> there is a right way to reach consensus. it's an RFC draft, not a
> github repo for the initiated.
>
> in the testing referenced by the "flagday2020" web page, there was no
> significant difference in loss between 1200 and 1400. there will be a
> significant difference in truncation and tcp retry.

So - as an operator of several recursive name servers and one of the
authoritative .no name servers: Are there suitable scripts I can use
to analyze data sources (log files, pcap files etc) and get actual
*numbers* for truncation and TCP retry?

Developing this myself is possible but is *way* down on the priority
list. Which means that unless I have a good reason to do otherwise, I
will simply follow the defaults of the DNS software providers we use.
Which currently says 1232.

Steinar Haug, AS2116