[dns-operations] [Ext] Nameserver responses from different IP than destination of request

P Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Tue Sep 1 02:45:23 UTC 2020

On Tue, Sep 01, 2020 at 01:36:49AM +0000, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> On Aug 31, 2020, at 6:02 PM, Brian Dickson <brian.peter.dickson at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think the only way to get meaningful data would be an active experiment,
> > involving an authority server (or set of servers) for a domain set up just
> > this way.
>
> We disagree. Another way to get meaningful data would be from someone's
> logs, if we can find people who are logging.

as you say, "we disagree". the reason this requires actual science is that the
results aren't meaningful unless you have some clue about what we didn't see.
you know that the plural of anecdote isn't data: the observation that something
bad is not happening to somebody doesn't mean it's not happening to anybody.

--
Paul Vixie