[dns-operations] Edge-case, zero-length DNSKEYs

Viktor Dukhovni ietf-dane at dukhovni.org
Tue Oct 6 21:07:56 UTC 2020

On Wed, Oct 07, 2020 at 07:27:47AM +1100, Mark Andrews wrote:

> They are just malformed. No key material is not permitted with DNSKEY.
> it’s one of the differences to KEY.

Yes, I am aware they're malformed, my question is whether this then
causes problems for various tools and resolvers.  Among the major
public DNS providers, a DNSKEY lookup returns:

    * CloudFlare    - NOERROR
    * Google        - SERVFAIL
    * OpenDNS       - NOERROR
    * Quad9         - NOERROR
    * Verisign      - NOERROR

So at least Google finds the DNSKEY RRset in question problematic
overall, despite the valid ECDSA P256 signature.

--
    Viktor.