[dns-operations] Goodbye DNS, Goodbye PowerDNS!

bert hubert bert.hubert at powerdns.com
Fri Nov 27 15:59:17 UTC 2020

Hi everyone,

I thought it polite to also mention it here, especially since my parting
post comes with some thoughts on DNS: I am leaving DNS and PowerDNS.

Although I do grumble a bit in the post, it has been an honour for me to be
part of the DNS community.  I leave the scene a lot wiser about the world,
and I hope to have improved the state of DNS somewhat while I was there.

Please read the whole post on https://blog.powerdns.com/2020/11/27/goodbye-dns-goodbye-powerdns/
which also has clickable links. I think some of you might enjoy the PowerDNS
history posts - part 1 is up already.

The gist is:

After over 20 years of DNS and PowerDNS, I am moving on.  Separate from this
page, I am releasing a series of three huge posts on the history of
PowerDNS, so I won’t dwell too much on that here.

This is not an easy story to write.  I don’t like to grandstand, but when
the founder of a project decides to leave after two decades, people do
expect some form of an explanation.

It is also customary to describe such an exit in upbeat terms, sometimes to
the point that you wonder that if things were so great, why is this person
leaving?

But the reality is, I got bored and wanted to do new things.  PowerDNS and
the wonderful people who I met along the way have taught me so much –
software development, operations, marketing, sales, business development,
community building, writing internet standards & much more.  It has been a
wonderful ride.

But now it appears DNS and I are somewhat at the end of our relationship
(even though I will remain a minor PowerDNS shareholder).  Formally I leave
on December 31st.

Helping build PowerDNS to what it is today – a flourishing department of
Open-Xchange, able to fund itself by delivering its software to paying
users, while maintaining good relations with the open source community, has
been an incredible honour.

As I leave the company, management and software development have long been
in the hands of people I am proud to call my successors.  They are doing a
better job than I ever did – the only claim I have on the current success is
that I helped recruit this next generation.  I don’t think there is much
more to aspire to when you create a company than leaving it behind in good
shape.

... please do read on at https://blog.powerdns.com/2020/11/27/goodbye-dns-goodbye-powerdns/

        Bert