[dns-operations] which breakage is this? FreeBSD.org / systemd-resolved

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Mon Nov 2 05:29:24 UTC 2020

Hi Mark,

On Mon, Nov 02, 2020 at 01:18:32PM +1100, Mark Andrews wrote:

>DNS64 also required every validating device to know about DNS64.

I know you have maintained this essentially since the beginning, but I never understood the claim and I still don't.  If what you mean is that it requires every validating device _to be deployed inside a NAT64_ to know about DNS64, well, then, yes.  That was quite explicit in its documentation, and I don't see what's wrong with that.  NAT64/DNS64 was intended to be a bridge technology for people who couldn't just dual stack, and it was always expected to be largely managed by the network provider.  I never thought that was a great model, but the very fact that we had "NAT" in the name sort of gave the game away IMO.  My hope, at least, was to make it good-ish enough that it solved some problems while it was still sucky enough that it inspired more real v6 deployment.  I will leave to others to determine whether that aspiration was reasonable.

Best regards,

A (only for myself)

--
Andrew Sullivan