[dns-operations] At least 3 CloudFlare DNS-hosted domains with oddball TLSA lookup ServFail

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu May 28 01:47:57 UTC 2020

> On 28 May 2020, at 09:21, Andrew Tunnell-Jones via dns-operations <dns-operations at dns-oarc.net> wrote:
>

> From: Andrew Tunnell-Jones <andrew at tj.id.au>
> Subject: Re: [dns-operations] At least 3 CloudFlare DNS-hosted domains with oddball TLSA lookup ServFail
> Date: 28 May 2020 at 09:21:00 AEST
> To: Christian Elmerot <christian at elmerot.se>
> Cc: dns-operations at lists.dns-oarc.net
>

> On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 3:18 AM Christian Elmerot <christian at elmerot.se> wrote:

>>> I've rescanned the three domains, still broken (same URL, updated
>>> content), and yes silence.
>>>
>>>     @alla.ns.cloudflare.com.[173.245.58.62]
>>>     ; <<>> DiG 9.16.2 <<>> +noidnout +nosearch +dnssec +noall +cmd +comment +qu +ans +auth +nocl +nottl +nosplit +norecur -t tlsa _25._tcp.mx01.mx-hosting.ch @173.245.58.62
>>>     ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
>>>
>>>     @guss.ns.cloudflare.com.[173.245.59.172]
>>>     ; <<>> DiG 9.16.2 <<>> +noidnout +nosearch +dnssec +noall +cmd +comment +qu +ans +auth +nocl +nottl +nosplit +norecur -t tlsa _25._tcp.mx01.mx-hosting.ch @173.245.59.172
>>>     ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
>>>
>>> Unclear why the TLSA queries are dropped, and by whom (is Cloudflare
>>> just proxying breakage at the customer's DNS?)
>>
>> I've looked into the error on our side and the reason for those
>> SERVFAILs are due to malformed record content. This is likely due to an
>> older version of our API not performing the correct validations for TLSA
>> records and it is unfortunate the zone owners never checked the output.
>>

> The web interface still allows creation of TLSA records with invalid
> data. As well a "Certificate" field containing whitespace and hex is
> accepted by the web interface but results in the same failure. This is
> likely to catch people out as whitespace is part of the presentation
> format of that field. The placeholder text for that field is also PEM
> rather than hex.

This is reminiscent of DS parsing stupidities by web tools.  DS also
allows whitespace in the hex encoding and the introduction of type 2
DS records exposed broken parsers.  We ended up modifying dnssec-dsfromkey
to omit the space just so the cut-and-paste didn’t include whitespace.

% dig dnskey . +noall +answer | dnssec-dsfromkey -f - .
. IN DS 20326 8 2 E06D44B80B8F1D39A95C0B0D7C65D08458E880409BBC683457104237C7F8EC8D
%

Not that DNS is alone in the UX idiocy.  Lots of phone number parsers can’t
handle whitespace nor plus (+).  Similarly credit card number parsers.  The
number on credit cards are broken up to PREVENT user input errors and the UX
developers defeat that by force space less entry.