[dns-operations] [Ext] Re: Contingency plans for the next Root KSK Ceremony

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Tue Mar 31 21:51:29 UTC 2020

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 3:40 PM Dave Lawrence <tale at dd.org> wrote:

> Grant Taylor via dns-operations writes:
> > I fail to see how any government would prevent the necessary parties
> > from attending if / when they fully understand the need.  Especially
> > when some of said governments have directives ~> mandates for use of DNSSEC.
>
> It could turn into a real-life movie thriller.  The government puts
> TCRs on special ops jets to fly off to a command center full of a
> million displays so that they can complete their vital re-signing
> mission.  The clock is ticking ...

Interesting -- my thriller was more: The gubbermint significantly
increases, and then starts enforcing the lockdown. The TCRs heroically
struggle to break through the barriers and cordons which surround the
Culpeper site[0]. This provides many opportunities for "Smokey and the
Bandit" style car chases, Anne-Marie Eklund-Löwinder piloting a
cigarette boat up the Potomac River, Joao abseiling out of a
helicopter, Subramanian doing a HALO jump from a balloon, Frederico
(in full camo gear) stalking through the forest while avoiding dogs,
and Chuck Norris roundhouse kicking everyone (just because).
But, yes, of course mine also has a large, red countdown clock showing
the time remaining till the signatures expire and the Internet deletes
itself...

[0]: Why is it centered on Culpeper? Because the govmnt heard that the
TCRs were coming and planning on blatantly ignoring the lockdown
order. This *of course* requires full mobilization of the navy (yay,
submarines), airforce (wheee, big planes!!!!), army (tanks and, um,...
more tanks?), FBI (oooh! sharp suits and dark glasses), green berets
(just like it says on the tin) and CIA (something, something, lasers,
something, overthrow foreign governments and install a friendly
dictator, self-destructing messages, something.). Oh, and the NSA to
quickly factor the new key before it is even generated...

Me thinks I may have been spending too much time indoors recently....