[dns-operations] [Ext] Re: Contingency plans for the next Root KSK Ceremony

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Mon Mar 30 19:15:47 UTC 2020

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 5:46 AM Erwin Lansing via dns-operations
<dns-operations at dns-oarc.net> wrote:

> [...]

Yup - just like a bank (or currency), the primary concern is the
perception of trust. For the sake of argument, let's pretend I don't
trust Kim et al at all / have some agenda to call the security /
stability of DNSSEC into question.

So, the safes get drilled; on camera and with all of TCRs (and their
aunties) watching. Everyone watches the ceremony, and everyone agrees
that everything went perfectly and there were no shenanigans -- what
happens *after* the ceremony?
How can we prove that nothing bad occurred after the ceremony
concluded and the cameras were turned off? I'm assuming that new locks
will be installed, and materials returned to their rightful places,
but this still leaves Kim et al with a big pile-o-keys that they could
use. We could probably stick (on camera) numbered tamper evident seals
over the locks, and have Kim sign them, but now we have devolved the
security to just numbered stickers / numbered bags and the signature
of the same person/people who have the pile-o-keys.

Before people get all up in arms, no, I'm not suggesting that IANA is
actually going to sneak in after the cameras are turned off and
<insert movie plot scenario here>, and I also recognize that these are
exceptional circumstances - what I'm trying to do is figure out how we
accomplish this while maintaining the actual and *perceived* trust in
the system -- it would be very sad if a few months from now we realize
that there was something really simple that we could have done to
maintain the trustworthiness, but didn't think of... The IANA and TCRs
have invested heavily in maintaining the trust in the system - I'd
hate to see that lost because we didn't think of something we could
have (easily) done...

We also need to ensure that we don't end up too much in the tin foil
hat camp, but  I don't think I've seen any discussion of what happens
after the ceremony and think it would be useful to try and cover the
re-securing phase (of course, it is entirely possible I missed it...)