[dns-operations] Any DNAME usage experience?

Viktor Dukhovni ietf-dane at dukhovni.org
Mon Mar 30 01:11:21 UTC 2020

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 06:46:30PM -0400, John Levine wrote:

> >Bottom-line, they're used infrequently, but they do seem to work.
>
> In the DNS sense, sure they work.
>
> In the application sense, I doubt it.  When I looked through the .CAT
> DNAMEs for www.<accented>.cat I don't think I found any web servers
> that gave me what looked like a deliberate answer rather than a
> default or error page.  I'd be quite surprised if there were many web
> or mail servers in Taiwan or Iran that gave reasonable responses to
> their DNAME'd names.

Of course, as you well know, Web != Internet, but even restricted to the
web (since you appeared to issue a challenge) I naturally had to find a
counter-example:

    http://xn--4gq43txlz.xn--kpry57d
    http://xn--4gq43txlz.xn--kprw13d

    :-)

Yes, it seems to be rather the exception than the rule.  For bonus
points, here are two sites that have rather different content:

    http://xn--4pz14j.xn--kpry57d
    http://xn--4pz14j.xn--kprw13d

despite the latter being a DNAME synthesised alias for the former.

--
    Viktor.