[dns-operations] peak DNS traffic increases

bert hubert bert.hubert at powerdns.com
Fri Mar 27 10:55:10 UTC 2020

Hi everyone,

First, I wish everyone good luck in these trying times. I hope you are all
well and continue to be so!

Several of our ISP customers have informed us they are seeing >25% increases
in peak resolver DNS traffic, plus remarkable shifts in DNS access patterns.
The usual 'waves' are all gone. This increase is far bigger than the
concurrent increase in bandwidth use.

If you have an aging DNS resolver setup, or one you don't monitor that
closely, now might be a good time to make sure you have sufficient spare
capacity.

I am aware of setups that can now no longer tolerate a hardware failure. And
now is a terrible time for hardware failures.

Good luck!

PS: Without tooting my own horn too much, a relatively 'no thinking'
performance increase can typically be had by putting a dnsdist with a small
cache in front of a setup.  This, in a pinch, also gives you the ability to
offload traffic to 1.1.1.1, 8.8.8.8 or 9.9.9.9 (for example) should you be
overloaded.