[dns-operations] DNS flag day 2020 update

Petr Špaček petr.spacek at nic.cz
Wed Mar 25 07:41:51 UTC 2020

Hello DNS operators!

Work like DNS flag day [1] requires a lot of global collaboration between DNS software developers, vendors, operators and service providers which is usually initiated and facilitated at conferences.

As that critical means of collaboration is greatly affected by the current situation in the world it's going to be harder to move things forward.

But the work has not been stopped or cancelled, it's moving forward as it did before!  Furthermore, we will closely monitor current developments and adapt our plans appropriately.

Please note there is still no date set (!) although there is a suggestion [2] that seem to be generally accepted.

Clarification: The date in this flag days title is not an indicator when the work will be finished, it is to differentiate this work from previous work.

Are you a DNS vendor, operator, firewall vendor or service provider and want to improve on DNS resilience?

Then ready our guidelines on "Message Size Considerations" for EDNS [3] to reduce or even avoid fragmentation of the DNS and please allow DNS over TCP!

Thank you for your attention.

[1] https://dnsflagday.net/2020/
[2] https://github.com/dns-violations/dnsflagday/issues/139#issuecomment-554724998
[3] https://dnsflagday.net/2020/#message-size-considerations