[dns-operations] RFC 6975 (was: Re: Algorithm 5 and 7 trends (please move to 8 or 13))

Daniel Stirnimann daniel.stirnimann at switch.ch
Wed Jun 10 05:25:17 UTC 2020

On 10.06.20 01:05, Mark Andrews wrote:
> It really is time for all nameservers for zones delegated from TLDs (and other
> similar zones) to be tested for protocol compliance at the DNS message level
> and their operators to be informed that their servers are out of compliance.
>
> It just takes willingness to do this.  When it has been done by some
> TLD operators in the past they see a large improvement in a short
> period of time.  Also there is very little back sliding.

How can TLDs find contact email addresses of name server operators? Or
how has this been done in the past?

For .ch only ~15% of nameserver hostnames end in .ch for which we have
contact details. Thus, for 85% of the nameserver hostnames we don't have
any contact details.

One could say if the nameserver ip address answers authoritatively for
the nameserver hostname one could notify the SOA RNAME email address. A
rough estimation tells me that leaves 30% of nameserver hostnames where
we don't have any contacts. Whats next, send emails to "whois <ipaddr>"
abuse email addresses?

Daniel, SWITCH