[dns-operations] RFC 6975 (was: Re: Algorithm 5 and 7 trends (please move to 8 or 13))

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Tue Jun 9 17:49:19 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 9 June 2020 05:16:25 UTC Brian Somers wrote:
> ...       1200    IN      A       208.65.116.3
>
> I’m now looking at re-implementing the code we had in place for EDNS
> probing prior to flag day 2019:
> - FORMERR/SERVFAIL/NOTIMP - try without any EDNS codes
> - No response - try with no EDNS codes on the third attempt
>
> Still trying to think of a way to make this negatively affect the domain
> that misbehaves without negatively affecting our support folks :(
>
> Any tips around this would be helpful (any resolvers do ECS probing for
> example?).

this was inevitable. to make the 2019 "flag day" (not my words) effective, it
will be nec'y to play the blame game. if you don't make this a problem for the
server operators who are causing it, then they will never solve that problem.

EDNS is 20 years old. servers who can't speak it should go dark. no
exceptions.

--
Paul