[dns-operations] prefetching and thundering herds

Brian Dickson brian.peter.dickson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 21:28:29 UTC 2020

TL;DR:
I think the main issue is, to make sure that any caching "stubs" (e.g.
resolvers in forward-only mode) do NOT do pre-fetch, but rather only query
for expired entries when a natural query from the forwarder's client(s)
(e.g. from an application on the host) occurs.

That should, in principle, prevent thundering herd from client to recursive.

Doing the opposite (prefetch by forwarder) would definitely cause
thundering herd behavior, and likely cause significantly degraded
performance from the client applications' perspective.
(UDP, network queues, hardware queues, retries, and all that fun stuff
being triggered with greater and greater synchronization over time.)

Brian