[dns-operations] DNSViz Access to C-root

Matthew Pounsett matt at dns-oarc.net
Thu Jul 2 15:51:53 UTC 2020

We’re pleased to announce that, as of the beginning of June, OARC and Cogent have had in place a solution to the reachability problem between DNSViz and C-Root over IPv6.

The lack of a v6 path between Hurricane Electric and Cogent has been a long-standing problem, and since OARC is singly-hosted on HE this has been a problem for DNSViz since it was moved to DNS-OARC. There have been a few discussions on this list, and we receive frequent support questions about errors users receive related to C-root reachability.

We’ve been in discussion with Cogent for a while about finding a solution to the problem, and last month finally put something in place.  After having let it run for several weeks, we’re comfortable that it is a solid workaround.

We’d like to thank Hank Kilmer, Brad Belanger, and Dave Nagy for reaching out to us and for helping to solve the issue.

Matt Pounsett
DNS-OARC Systems Engineering