[dns-operations] SHA-1 (algs 5 and 7), planning to switch to something non-deprecated?

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Jan 29 13:52:44 UTC 2020

Looking for algorithm rollovers in the root zone, the most recent is .buy
which also has the distinction of taking a remarkably long time:

2017051000

 buy.	86400 IN DS	18204 7 1 ...
 buy.	86400 IN DS	18204 7 2 ...
+buy.	86400 IN DS	37087 8 1 ...
+buy.	86400 IN DS	37087 8 2 ...

2019052202

 buy.	86400 IN DS	16411 8 2 ...
-buy.	86400 IN DS	18204 7 1 ...
-buy.	86400 IN DS	18204 7 2 ...
-buy.	86400 IN DS	37087 8 1 ...
-buy.	86400 IN DS	37087 8 2 ...

Next most recent were:

2018110601 .ad 7 -> 8
2018103002 .nu 7 -> 13
2018082002 .br 5 -> 13
2018011800 .ke 5 -> 8

I did some sketchy counting of top-level reverse DNS delegations. Columns
are number of delegations (x) digest types, algorithm number, registry.
(All our PI v4 address space is under ARIN's reverse DNS.)

IPv4

 1 x 12  8 dns.jp.
 6 x 12  8 AFRINIC
10 x 12  5 ARIN
10 x 12  5 LACNIC
15 x       unsigned
16 x 12  8 IANA
41 x  2  8 RIPE
50 x  2 13 APNIC
81 x 1   5 ARIN

IPv6

 3 x 12  5 LACNIC
 3 x 12  8 AFRINIC
 8 x       unsigned
11 x 1   5 ARIN
12 x  2 13 APNIC
22 x  2  8 RIPE

Tony.
Forth, Tyne, Dogger, Fisher, German Bight, Humber: West or southwest 5 to 7,
occasionally gale 8, except in Fisher. Moderate or rough. Occasional rain or
showers. Good, occasionally moderate.