[dns-operations] Check DNS-anycast-instances for same DNS Cookie

Arsen STASIC arsen.stasic at univie.ac.at
Fri Jan 24 10:36:08 UTC 2020

Hi,

This software might be of interest for DNS anycast providers (or customers) which are running BIND.
With BIND 9.11 and newer DNS Cookies are enabled **automatically**.

While I was searching for software to check DNS Cookies and I didn't find anything.
Therefore I wrote this small Perl script to check DNS anycast instances (over their mgmt-ip) for synchronized DNS Cookies:
https://github.com/stasic/dns-cookies/

If DNS Cookies are not the same between different DNS anycast instances it may cause warnings and intermittent query retries. Therefore I suggest either synchronize them or disable them.

ISC addressed this issue in their knowledge base:
https://kb.isc.org/docs/dns-cookies-on-servers-in-anycast-clusters

happy cookie gathering
Arsen