[dns-operations] [Ext] Re: help with a resolution

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Thu Jan 9 23:02:43 UTC 2020

[ Top-post ]

... and once again I understand the "Do not disagree with the
Dukhovni, for you will end up feeling foolish..." truism...

Somehow, even though I read (and re-read) the "chosen-prefix" part of
"chosen-prefix collision", for some reason when it came to DNSSEC I
felt that the *attacker* needed to be the one choosing the prefix
(because of the concatenation of the RRSIG RDATA and the RRSET)

I started reading Tony Finch's excellent blog post (
https://www.dns.cam.ac.uk/news/2020-01-09-sha-mbles.html ), all the
while shaking my head in disagreement...  and then read the "sort
after the innocuous prefix" phrase and the penny finally dropped.

Ok, I see the concern now, and *do* feel foolish for not getting it sooner...

Shame cube,

On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 7:12 PM Warren Kumari <warren at kumari.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 6:47 PM Viktor Dukhovni <ietf-dane at dukhovni.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 08, 2020 at 06:00:06PM -0500, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
> >
> > > Well, there are various services where indeed the zone administrator signs
> > > records from authenticated, but otherwise untrusted customers, provided
> > > the RR owner is associated with the customer.
> > >
> > > For example, the .DE zone (which uses algorithm 8, so not subject to
> > > any SHA-1 issues) allows registrants that only need a handful of
> > > DNS records to have those records published directly in the .DE
> > > zone, without delegation.
> > >
> > > Other zones may make similar arrangements.
> >
> > Or more simply, when Let's Encrypt, or some cloud provider asks you to
> > publish a TXT RR in your zone to prove zone control, how sure are you
> > that's not a hash collision in disguise?
>
> It **could** be, but I'm still failing to see how they could use this
> -- LE asks me to publish:
>
> _acme-challenge.example.com 600 IN TXT "I_like_Cheese" in my zone, and
> I sign it.
>
> LE asks Bob to publish:
> _acme-challenge.example.net 600 IN TXT "I_like_Natchos" in his zone,
> and Bob signs it.
>
> I_like_Cheese and I_like_Natchos hash to the same output - 0x12345,
> and both Bob and I have signed it (actually, what get signed is the
> concatenation of the RRSIG RDATA and the RRSET, and so the LE doesn't
> really get to choose the prefix, but lets ignore that).
>
> Now the attacker (LE) has gotten both Bob and I to sign this, and when
> someone queries for _acme-challenge.example.com LE could inject
> "I_like_Natchos" instead of "I_like_Cheese" -- but both of these
> strings were messages under the attackers control anyway. Yes, I feel
> that there *might* be a way that this can be pivoted into something
> useful to the attacker, but I'm still not seeing it...

> > --
> >     Viktor.
>

> --
> I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad
> idea in the first place.
> This is like putting rabid weasels in your pants, and later expressing
> regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair
> of pants.
>    ---maf

idea in the first place.
of pants.