[dns-operations] [Ext] Re: Surprising behaviour by certain authoritative name servers

Edward Lewis edward.lewis at icann.org
Wed Jan 8 13:51:22 UTC 2020

On 1/8/20, 7:40 AM, "dns-operations on behalf of Niall O'Reilly" <dns-operations-bounces at dns-oarc.net on behalf of niall.oreilly at ucd.ie> wrote:

    On 7 Jan 2020, at 12:53, Greg Choules wrote:

    > I don't think it's a protocol violation,

    I think that's arguable. RFC1035, section 6.1.3:

      Both the TTL data for RRs and the timing data for refreshing activities
      depends on 32 bit timers in units of seconds.  Inside the database,
      refresh timers and TTLs for cached data conceptually "count down", while
      data in the zone stays with constant TTLs.

I'd agree that it **is not** a protocol violation based on this line of reasoning:

Imagine the zone being re-loaded often (more than once a second) with the effect that every second or wall clock results in the(/a/each) set's TTL lowered by one.  That's "legal" and would result in a protocol-compliant implementation acting as observed.

Admins are allowed to do silly things ... the protocol permits that. ;). And that is why remote, third-party debugging of server operations is tricky.