[dns-operations] Surprising behaviour by certain authoritative name servers

Greg Choules gregchoules at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 7 12:53:22 UTC 2020

Hi Niall.
Yes, we (Three UK) have seen this before, from AWS DNS and Cloudflare.
Cloudflare say this is intentional because of the way that their CNAME
flattening works.
I don't think it's a protocol violation, but (if you're an ISP and run
large cacheing servers) it can really muck up your cache!

Another thing to watch out for is TTL=0. If the original authoritative TTL
is (say) 60s, but repeated queries show an AA answer with decrementing TTL,
we have noticed that this can decrement to 0.
An AA answer with TTL=0 is legal, but it cannot be cached and it also
messed with a piece of equipment that had issues with 0 TTLs (but that's
just our problem).

I hope that helps.
cheers, Greg