[dns-operations] ... one of the more annoying captive portal breakages I've seen...

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Wed Feb 19 21:06:25 UTC 2020

So, I'm sitting in a hotel in Melbourne (APRICOT20), trying to get
some work done[0].

They have a captive portal which a: logs you our fairly often and b:
requires you use their DNS server. Ugh, but OK.

..but, they have managed to invent some new, and interesting failure
mode - if I look up a name which isn't in the cache, I *immediatly*
get back a SERVFAIL. Ask the question a bunch more times, and after a
few seconds you start getting an answer.

$ dig www.snozzages.com  | grep status
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 47760
$ dig www.snozzages.com  | grep status
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 3344
$ dig www.snozzages.com  | grep status
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 48739
.... [ continues for ~4 seconds ]
$ dig www.snozzages.com  | grep status
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 3417
$ dig www.snozzages.com  | grep status
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 58153
$ dig www.snozzages.com  | grep status

So, this is annoying, but kind-of possibly, if you squint really hard, OK.
but, the other failure mode (which I'm having a hard time capturing at
the moment) goes:
NXDOMAIN
NXDOMAIN
NXDOMAIN
ANSWER!

This behavior is baffling - other than intentionally, how do you
managed to break something this badly / in this way!?

Oh, I just needed to rant a bit...

[0]: Yeah, ok, I was trying to reach Reddit.....

idea in the first place.
of pants.
   ---maf