[dns-operations] Monitoring for impending expiration of domains?

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Mon Dec 14 18:51:59 UTC 2020

In article <yblo8iwz3n0.fsf at w7.hardakers.net> you write:
>critical).  I had the registrar's emails specifically filtered to an
>important folder so I'd notice the pending expiration date.  Then...
>that registar sold all their DNS services to a different one.  I lost
>two domains because the new registar's mails ending up in a spam folder
>before I noticed.  Whoops.
>
>Mind you the fault was entirely mine.

I dunno. It is pretty common for people to whitelist addresses that
have sent mail before, so if they changed their address I'd expect a
lot of it to go into spam folders. It doesn't sound like they sent you
notices from the old address telling you that future mail would come
from the new address.

> But auto-renew is probably the only safe way, as mail fails...

That's swell until the message asking for the card's new expiration
date falls into the spam folder, too.

There is a great deal of responsiblity go go around here, particularly
when something slightly out of the ordinary happens.

R's,
John