[dns-operations] Monitoring for impending expiration of domains?

Viktor Dukhovni ietf-dane at dukhovni.org
Mon Dec 14 08:04:55 UTC 2020

On Sun, Dec 13, 2020 at 07:20:27PM -0500, John Levine wrote:

> >I've fallen back to TXT records; why the heck not, they're overloaded for
> >a bunch of "prove you love me" epics already.
>
> What's wrong with RP records?  That's what they're for.
>
> $ host -t rp taugh.com
> taugh.com has RP record hostmaster.iecc.com. rp.services.net.

Yes, RP is definitely correct, though far from widely used.  After
querying 10k domains of working DANE MX hosts, I found 51 zone-apex RP
RRsets.  We haven't marketed these terribly well... :-(

[ Of these 18 matched the SOA rname, leaving 33 potentially new contact
  addresses (5 were yours).  So as a last resort worth a try, but sadly
  not typically an adequate substitute for the bygone days of generally
  useful WHOIS. ]

Of ~500 MX domains with a DANE-related issue, 4 had zone-apex RP RRs,
and just one had an RP for the MX host itself (matching the zone-apex
RP).

--
    Viktor.