[dns-operations] Monitoring for impending expiration of domains?

Chris Adams cma at cmadams.net
Sun Dec 13 19:03:12 UTC 2020

Once upon a time, Viktor Dukhovni <ietf-dane at dukhovni.org> said:
> While one might just write this off as "operator error", putting the
> blame squarely on the domain owner, I wonder whether in part the problem
> is a result of lack of transparency around impending domain expiration.

You can set to auto-renew, or you can use a calendar.  I don't like
automatic charges and avoid them when possible, so whenever I renew one
of my domains, I put the expiration on my calendar with several advance
notifications.

Plus, if you are following the rules and keeping up-to-date contacts,
you should get email notifications from the registrar before expiration.

I have other things that I'm expected to renew without prompting (my
state driver's license doesn't send notifications for example), so I
guess I'm just used to keeping up with things myself.

--
Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net>