[dns-operations] Monitoring for impending expiration of domains?

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Sun Dec 13 15:32:30 UTC 2020

I'm glad to see this dialog.  ICANN has some guidance intended to educate
domain owners re the various risks.  See
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/domain-name-need-to-know-2020-05-01-en

My *impression* is the most serious risks a domain owner faces for losing
control of the domain are either because the registration lapses, as is
being discussed here, or because the domain is registered by someone else,
e.g. the tech or admin contact, who then either leaves the company or
refuses to give up control.  To be sure, there are other reasons some
domains are lost, e.g. phishing attacks, but my impression is these are
much rarer than the "ordinary" problems.  However, I don't have any
quantitative data to support this impression.

I believe the ICANN folks are open to advice on the advice they are
providing, and this is a good time to offer your advice.

One point I often make is domain names have a peculiar value.  They cost
very little to purchase, but the cost of losing a domain can be enormous.
The suggestion that an owner keep a list of their domain names and check it
regularly wouldn't need to be said if everyone valued a domain at, say,
$10,000 USD.  Almost everyone, from individuals to small businesses to
large businesses has some sort of system in place to keep track of assets
like that.  But domain names aren't usually thought of in the same category
as major capital assets.  Until they disappear.

Steve