[dns-operations] Nameserver responses from different IP than destination of request

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Aug 28 22:57:00 UTC 2020

Google should definitely drop them as the rest of us then don’t have to deal with “but it works with Google’s servers”.

We (ISC) drop them.  They are basically the result of servers listening on *.53 and failing to ensure the replies originate from the correct address.  In IPv4 you need to listen explicitly on each address to force the reply to come from the correct address.  For IPv6 you need to use struct in6_pktinfo to get and set the destination / source addresses. They also don’t make it through stateful firewalls.

Mark