[dns-operations] Shutdown of OARC's ODVR service

Matthew Pounsett matt at dns-oarc.net
Fri Aug 28 13:33:19 UTC 2020

For a little over ten years, OARC has been operating the Open DNSSEC
Validating Resolver service (ODVR), which consists of one instance each of
BIND and Unbound, open to the Internet.  The service was originally intended
as a way to allow people to test DNSSEC operations and software
implementations in a time when validating resolvers—in particular open
validating resolvers—were few and hard to find.  In 2020, public open resolver
services almost universally do DNSSEC validation, and it is much easier (and
often the default) for any newly configured resolver to do validation.

Given the overhead necessary to run an open resolver safely (ensuring that it
does not get abused, and dealing with attempts to abuse it), and comparing
that with the easy availability of validating resolvers, OARC is considering
closing down its ODVR service sometime before the end of Q3.

We are aware there are some community members that still use ODVR, and we are
interested to know what value the service provides that is not provided by
larger open resolver services, or by individually operated validating
resolvers.  If there is sufficient interest and financial support available,
we will consider converting it to a closed service, available by prearranged
ACL for a fee, instead of shutting it down completely.  Anyone interested in
having the service continue should contact admin at dns-oarc.net before the 18th
of September, 2020.

More information about ODVR is available at
<https://www.dns-oarc.net/oarc/services/odvr>.

Matt Pounsett
DNS-OARC Systems Engineering