[dns-operations] New OARC Chat Platform

Matthew Pounsett matt at dns-oarc.net
Thu Aug 20 20:54:28 UTC 2020

Hello everyone.

DNS OARC is pleased to announce that our new community chat server is open for access, augmenting the mailing lists we operate.

For many years, OARC has been operating a Jabber service which has been available to OARC Members.  We are replacing that service with a more modern chat platform using Mattermost.  OARC’s chat service is available for open signup at <https://chat.dns-oarc.net/>.

Anyone wishing to sign up and use the platform for discussion of the DNS is welcome to do so.  Please be reminded that all use of OARC services is subject to OARC’s Code of Conduct Policy, available at <https://www.dns-oarc.net/oarc/policies/conduct>.

Mattermost is open source software, and has open source clients available for all major desktop and mobile platforms.  Information on Mattermost client software is available at <https://mattermost.com/download/#mattermostApps>.

Mattermost makes a number of Teams available on a chat server.  In OARC’s case, we have the Members and Community teams available for use.  Anyone in the DNS community is welcome to join our Community team and use it for discussion of the DNS.

The Members team is open to all OARC Member and Supporter contacts.  Non-members who would like access to that team are welcome to contact admin at dns-oarc.net for information about how to become a member.

Users of the chat service are welcome to create any public or private channels they find useful for discussing DNS community issues, on either the Community or Members teams.  OARC will be monitoring team creation and activity levels in order to watch for abuse and do basic house keeping, but otherwise have no plans to monitor channel content.  If participants witness any behaviour they feel is in violation of OARC’s code of conduct, we ask that it be brought to our attention.

If anyone has any questions about the chat service, please feel free to email us at admin at dns-oarc.net, or find us on Mattermost.  We hope everyone finds this service useful for communicating with the rest of the DNS community.

Matt Pounsett
DNS-OARC Systems Engineering