[dns-operations] FlagDay 2020 UDP Size

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Wed Aug 5 00:39:55 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 4 August 2020 21:50:22 UTC Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Aug 2020, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
>
> It's almoast as if 1) we shouldn't hardcode any of this and 2)
> definately not switch behaviour on some arbitrary "flag day".

that's a fairly good interpretation of

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-fujiwara-dnsop-avoid-fragmentation-02

and also this, which the above draft will reference in its next version:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-datagram-plpmtud-22

a flag day would mislead some, fix little, break much, and prepare for a
future worse than the present or past. i remain opposed to this plan. as the
person who recommended fragmentation in EDNS0, i'm here to tell you that the
problem is more important and more widespread than just operational practices.

--
Paul