[dns-operations] At least 3 CloudFlare DNS-hosted domains with oddball TLSA lookup ServFail

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Sun Apr 19 11:52:35 UTC 2020

* Vladimír Čunát:

> (I don't react to the SERVFAIL from CloudFlare auth.)
>
> On 4/19/20 8:55 AM, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
>> the NSEC RR promises TLSA records, among a rather oddball mix of
>> other rrtypes
>
> I believe that's normal for CloudFlare authoritatives, and so far I've
> noticed no real problems from that, apart from effects like less
> efficient caching.  Description:
> https://blog.cloudflare.com/black-lies/#dnsshotgun

For me, queries to alla.ns.cloudflare.com for
_25._tcp.mx01.mx-hosting.ch/IN/TLSA time out (even over TCP).  That
breaks denial of existence and thus DANE.  There is no obvious
client-side workaround because the NSEC RRset says that the TLSA RRset
exists.

Could this work if the authoriative server returned an RRSIG signature
of an empty TLSA RRset?