[dns-operations] mail.protection.outlook.com (was: Anyone from Google here?)

Brian Somers bsomers at opendns.com
Sat Apr 18 16:55:07 UTC 2020

Heh, mail.protection.outlook.com has consumed many hours of my time in the past month :(

For everyones’ amusement/astonishment:
* dig +edns ns mail.protection.outlook.com @ns1-proddns.glbdns.o365filtering.com
  Returns FORMERR but an empty question section
* dig +noedns SOA mail.protection.outlook.com @ns1-proddns.glbdns.o365filtering.com
  Returns NODATA… with an SOA to prove it!
* dig +noedns DS mail.protection.outlook.com @ns1-proddns.glbdns.o365filtering.com
  dig +noedns DNSKEY mail.protection.outlook.com @ns1-proddns.glbdns.o365filtering.com
  dig +noedns TXT mail.protection.outlook.com @ns1-proddns.glbdns.o365filtering.com
  Returns NOTIMP
* dig +noedns ns nist-gov.mail.protection.outlook.com @ns1-proddns.glbdns.o365filtering.com
  Returns two mail.protection.outlook.com/NS RRs in the ANSWER section

If only Microsoft cared…

—
Brian