[dns-operations] recursive glueless handling by 8.8.8.8

Calvin Browne calvin at orange-tree.alt.za
Wed Apr 15 14:54:59 UTC 2020

Ok, so we had a registrant with the following:

luckyconnect.co.za

  NS ns3.rsa-tel.co.za

  NS ns4.rsa-tel.co.za

and

rsa-tel.co.za

  NS ns1.luckyconnect.co.za

  NS ns2.luckyconnect.co.za

Classic glueless recursive mess-up.

I was seeing notable traffic on co.za Auth's from

172.253.*

74.125.*

and

2a00:1450:400a:*

2800:3f0:4003:*

trying to resolve the above two zones.

I'm assuming they're related to 8.8.8.8?

once the registrant updated the NS's for one zone, breaking the glueless
recursion, it went away.

(and yeah - maybe I'm throwing away another bug bounty).

regards

--Calvin Browne