[dns-operations] DNS over Wikipedia

Dave Lawrence tale at dd.org
Tue Apr 7 16:47:20 UTC 2020

Wesley Peng writes:
> My question is about their implementation.
> Does it mean any domain ending with .idk went to an interface, this
> interface queried the domain part before .idk from wikipedia, then
> returned a URL redirection to some other website?

Pretty much yes.   They take the page they land at and search for the
URL header in the infobox table, then take the first URL that they
find there.   In the example case this means following the Wikipedia
redirect from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/scihub to the official
page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sci-Hub, where the Taiwanese site
is the first one, of four, listed in the infobox.

Kind of an odd thing overall.  I'm not sure what real utility it has,
and so I'm having a hard time imagining wanting to use it myself.  If
I really wanted to go to a URL via it's Wikipedia page, well I already
have a Wikipedia keyword search in my browser to get me there quickly
enough, just one extra click overall.