[dns-operations] OpenDNS, Google, Nominet - New delegation update failure mode

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Sun Apr 5 00:53:13 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 4 April 2020 22:55:55 UTC Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 04, 2020 at 09:56:06PM +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:
>
> I'm therefore sympathetic to Google's parent-centric approach (one
> source of truth), without denying the desirability of letting the child
> zone adjust TTLs.

i am not. sympathetic, that is, to any approach which discards useful
information. this is apparently an area of the protocol which would benefit
from more specification. for example, only NS RRs which appear both above and
below the cut should be used, and if there is no overlap, the zone should be
treated as lame. perhaps this topic will come up over on dnsop at ietf.org where
the ns-revalidation specification is supposed to be discussed instead of here.

> Of course, we should probably not overly optimize the design for the
> minority of cases that are broken.  The majority of cases where the
> parent glue and child zone apex don't agree are benign.

i don't think anybody has called for overly optimizing anything, even allowing
for wide subjectivity on the meaning of the word "overly". rather, we should
seek a balanced design that incentivizes correctness at reasonable complexity
costs. we don't have that balance today: costs and benefits are ~unrelated. a
system which is only resilient because of widespread error-tolerance must
always become a diagnostic hellscape.

--
Paul