[dns-operations] Any DNAME usage experience?

Josh Simpson josh at internetnz.net.nz
Fri Apr 3 01:52:18 UTC 2020

Hi Meir,

The issues are mainly historical at this point.

   - Limited some of our options when looking at global zone distribution
   partners.
   - Very old resolver code that just did not handle it well, this has
   faded with time.
   - Some issues with CA's and certificates, this also not so much of an
   issue anymore.
   - Managing the domains/zones in some services like Cloudflare/AWS not
   recognizing it properly, again mostly ok these days.

Josh

On Wed, 1 Apr 2020 at 22:19, Meir Kraushar <meir at isoc.org.il> wrote:

> Hi Josh
> Thanks for your reply.
> Your implementation is exactly what I was thinking of.
> Having a DNAME record in the TLD,  original SLD is dnssec signed.
>
> You wrote "We don't see many issues with it.."
> Can you say what kind of issues you had?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>

> מאיר קראוסהר* | **Meir Kraushar*
> איגוד האינטרנט הישראלי  | *Israel Internet Association ISOC-IL*
> [image: איגוד האינטרנט הישראלי - ISOC-IL] <https://www.isoc.org.il>
>

> On Mon, 30 Mar 2020 at 16:04, Josh Simpson <josh at internetnz.net.nz> wrote:
>
>> .nz uses DNAME for one of the 2nd level registration spaces māori.nz
>> <http://xn--mori-qsa.nz> > maori.nz
>>
>> xn--mori-qsa.nz. 86400 IN DNAME maori.nz.
>>
>> Details at https://docs.internetnz.nz/features/idn/?highlight=dname
>>
>> We don't see many issues with it as it's not at the registrant level,
>> and registrants normally configure their server software as they
>> intend it to be used, fully IDN or not, which they publish externally.
>>
>> Josh
>>

>> --
>>
>> Josh Simpson
>> .nz Operations Manager
>> InternetNZ  |  Ipurangi Aotearoa

*Josh Simpson*
.nz Operations Manager
*InternetNZ  |  Ipurangi Aotearoa*

Helping New Zealanders harness the power of the Internet
www.internetnz.nz

*M* +64 21 783 399 *O* +64 4 555 0124
*GPG:* 542B 26CA 6CF6 00B1 6E6B  6D84 058C 8FE5 CEEF 5FAB
[image: InternetNZ]