[dns-operations] OpenDNS, Google, Nominet - New delegation update failure mode

Brian Somers bsomers at opendns.com
Thu Apr 2 21:06:26 UTC 2020

FWIW, OpenDNS/Umbrella/Cisco will use the glue to look things
up and won’t explicitly ask the authority for its own NS record.

However, if we’re asked for an NS record by a client, we’ll lookup
& return the authoritative answer and that answer will trump the glue.
We’ll never serve glue to a client.

One of the problems with caching NS records is that you’ve got to be
careful that you don’t let them keep re-asserting their own presence
in the cache (by repeating their RRset in the AUTH section every time
you talk to them).  We do *force* their eventual TTL decay, but
for frequently queried domains, the original glue TTL is *not* honoured
due to the authoritative RRset trumping it!

This may be what was happening for shopdisney.co.uk...